Rocker and Sage

The Quintessential Optimist and the Quintessential Cynic - Working Together to Build a Better America.

Monday, January 09, 2006

Confirm Alito

A Republican, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, once said. "In fact, if you look at some of the quotes of his former law clerks, they don't believe that he'll overturn Roe v. Wade."

I hope he will. Sage hopes he won't. In either case, it's not really fair to place him in a position to issue a ruling in advance of a case being placed before him, as many Senate Democrats want to do. Ginsberg didn't have to; neither should Alito, and if Teddy Kennedy doesn't like it, he knows what he can do. I won't say it out loud here, 'cause this is also Sage's place and he would likely prefer I keep that level of passion over at my own blog.

The most important thing about Alito is his record as a judge. Most sources, even those coming from the Left, seem to point to him being an originalist, which is the POV both Sage and I come from.

This was arguably the most important promise made by President Bush, and although he has done some REALLY stupid things (expanding the welfare state and failing to properly secure our borders, just to name a couple), his ultimately having kept this promise will be the most positive part of his legacy. Congrats to conservatives for forcing him to keep it. It's for his own good, and, more importantly, for the good of our Constitution and our Nation.

RWR

3 Comments:

  • At 9:46 AM , Blogger theoldsage said...

    As I have said before, I am neither friend nor foe of Roe vs. Wade because I do not believe that there is anything in the constitution that is either for or against its dictates.Therefore, it is outside of the realm of that document's constraints which makes it unconstitutional in all of its forms. I still hold that the issue in question is one in which the persons most affected should make the final determination without any external influence save that of their own personal belief in God as they know, and accept him/her to be.
    Under those circumstances,I would welcome its overturning as a step in the right direction as long as there were no other illegal government intrusions for or against in the future. I am not convinced,however, at this point that that will be the case with Mr. Alito.
    I am even more concerned with yet another "government intrusion" that may yet be part of the legacy of his benefactor,that being government spying. The jury is still out on that one,but time will tell.Other than that I have no problem with him,except maybe that he is from N.J. Ha Ha!!!

     
  • At 7:59 AM , Blogger RightWingRocker said...

    I looked into the "government spying" thing, Sage.

    There are a few unconstitutional court decisions in the relevant jurisprudence, but spying on America's enemies is part of the government's job, particularly during a time of war.

    It has come to light that the surveillance has involved only communications to and from the phones of known terrorists outside the US. The Bill of Rights does not extend to foreigners and, therefore, until I see something compelling, I am not opposed to what has happened based on the evidence that I have seen.

    There's a pretty long comment thread over at RWN about this, and one commentor posted nearly everything relevant to the matter there. it took a long time to read, but it was very interesting, and based upon that post, I see this as constitutional, and within the President's authority under the Constitution, as, it turns out, these warrantless surveillances involved only foreign terrorists.

    RWR

     
  • At 8:03 AM , Blogger theoldsage said...

    "Spying on America's enemies" That can be interpreted rather broadly as it was during the McCarthy era. I realize that I am taking a pessimistic view here; and maybe even placing myself and my family in danger were there a more immediate threat, but liberty is not for the weak in heart or spirit. I wish sometimes that people would remember that we live in"the land of the free and the home of the brave", and let "we the people" make the final determination as to what course that should take.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home